Thursday, June 2, 2011

Et, Londre

It's changed, and it hasn't. The core of everything I lived with for nearly 10 years is still there, as much of it has been for probably 100 years or more, but the facade has changed, albeit yet again briefly.

It'd been 10 years since I spent any time here. Today after landing I checked in - staying at T5, easier that way - and first went to Oxford Street to shop. So much work going on; street, tube, you name it. But the streets are still packed, but the accents and languages have changed.

Today I've heard a lot of Russian and French spoken, and seen lots of burkas. Ive walked the length of Oxford and Regent streets, seen that Hamleys is 250 years old - whoa - and the tube is 150.

I've felt jostled and cramped, but then after 12 hours if feels like home again, how very odd. After 2 weeks of back country cycling, wearing real clothes - clean clothes, and boxers! - again, I feel a bit like a bumpkin :)

So, with shopping in tow, I'm curried, a couple of London Prides to the better and about to catch up on sleep. Think I need that catch up!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment